Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

                 


If there is one thing I'm sure of, it's that Cassandra Clare must not stop writing books about shadowhunters. After finishing this series I could not understand why some people would not want to read any more books with shadowhunters in them. Don't listen to the haters Cassandra! Don't you listen to them!

While I really enjoyed reading the so far released books of the Mortal Instruments, I feel like the Infernal Devices trilogy is beyond better. It felt like Cassandra Clare matured in her writing style. The characters felt more alive, more likeable and a bit less juvenile perhaps. I don't know, maybe it's because I love historical fantasy. From the very first page of Clockwork Angel to the last page of Clockwork Princess I was on edge. Something was always keeping my attention. If it wasn't some battle, it was the beautiful writing style. 

I'm usually sceptical with regards to love triangles but I really feel like it was done perfectly in this book for a particular reason; they are both incredible in their own way. You don't have one better than the other one. I mean, for crying out loud, I still can't decide between them. On one hand you have Jem who just has the most beautiful soul and wise beyond his years and on the other hand you have Will who keeps people at a distance to keep them safe. I also think that Tessa was a very strong main character who did not depend on anyone's help but rather preferred to fight. 

Lastly I cannot not mention Magnus. I have to admit I just adore Magnus. When in Clockwork Princess he said 'All Lightwoods look the same to me -' I was like 'Ah, Magnus, you!'

Overall, it was an incredible trilogy with a great ending. And apparently it's become quite rare these days to get a (realistically) good happy ending. 

Recommended for: Fans of the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo and of course The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Favorite Quotes

“I can offer you my life, but it is a short life; I can offer you my heart, though I have no idea how many more beats it shall sustain” 

“Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.” 

“Dear me," said Will, and he took another bite of his apple. "Is it because I'm better-looking than you?” 

“The good suffer, the evil flourish, and all that is mortal passes away.” 

"I can tell you that the end of a life is the sum of the love that was lived in it."

"Every life is finite, Will. And you knew, when you chose him, that he would die before you did."

"Life is a book, and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read. I would read them together with you, as many as I can, before I die-"




0 comments:

Post a Comment